Family Animals
I found this picture of Sugarfoot today. This was our horse. When my sisters interests turned to other things she became my horse. I rode her everywhere. It wasn't uncommon to see horses in town or on residential streets at all hours of the day. I thought everybody had a horse and a dog. I never thought twice about it. I did like riding her. She was an older horse when we got her so eventually the choice was made to put her down.
The picture below is me with my two sisters, Coleen and Lynne. I am sure my mom made those dresses. It isn't my sisters or the dresses that interested me. It's the dog. That is Mutt. He is the family dog I knew. I am not much of a dog person but I do remember how much I liked Mutt.
Dogs ran loose in Show Low. So, obviously, there were dog fights. Mutt would come home with his eye sockets ripped open. Mom took him to the vet (when you could afford to take your animals to a vet) for stitches more than once. With dogs running loose you also had people who would have enough of dogs chasing their animals. So every now and then they would set out poison. We think Mutt was a victim of the poison. I was happy to find this picture with him in it.


No comments:
Post a Comment